January 20, 2013

American style



In American cake programs they often use "pound cake" or "red velvet cake" as the base for shaped cakes. I have wondered for some time now what these cakes taste like, so I decided to try out a couple of recipes. The intriguing sounding "red velvet" I decided to leave for Valentine's day because of its colour, so this time the test subject was the famous "pound cake".

The Internet is of course filled with different kinds of "pound cake" recipes, so after a short examination I decided to try the original one. According to Wikipedia, "pound cake" got its name from its recipe: a pound of flour, a pound of butter, a pound of eggs and a pound of sugar. In the test batch I reduced the recipe to 100+100+100+100 grams and added a pinch of baking powder for extra lift and vanilla sugar for taste, so I didn't end up following the recipe completely. In addition I used baking margarine instead of butter. The Southerner ladies would be horrified, I'm sure!



This recipe was enough for a 15cm cake tin (that Santa brought), so it's not very economical. ...But it's good! :)



"Pound cake"

100 g     margarine
100 g     sugar
100 g     eggs (= 2)
100 g     plain flour
3/4 tsp   baking powder
1 tsp      vanilla sugar

Whisk the softened margarine with sugars to a fluffy mixture. Beat in the eggs and mix in the flour and the baking powder. Pour the mix into a breadcrumbed cake tin and bake in 175°C for about half an hour. Leave to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment