February 16, 2013

Christening cake for a baby girl




I was happy when I got an order for this Christening cake a few weeks ago, because I'd been longing for a new area of cake decorating. About a month ago I tried to make a simple baby's shoe out of sugar fondant, and I used that idea also in this cake. I also wanted to try something new, and therefore this little pink dummy found its way on top of the cake.



I was given a free hand with the model of this cake, as long as the colour theme was white and pink. I first did a sketch on paper (also because I wanted something to do as the actual baking was still a couple of weeks away) and got it approved before starting the cake.





Flowers were made in advance, left to dry in the
desired shape and then dusted with petal dust

The flavours were supposed to be banana and strawberry, but the use of quark was forbidden. That's why I ended up spicing up a strawberry cream mix with white chocolate (recipe below). The name on top of the cake I piped with white chocolate dyed with petal dust.





The original design with the words "Baby Girl"
as the name


Strawberry and white chocolate filling: (to fill two layers of a ø26cm cake)

300 g                 strawberry puré
approx. 0,2 dl    sugar(white chocolate adds more sweetening)
4 dl                    whipping cream
150 g                 white chocolate
5                        leaves of gelatin
2 tbs                  boiling water


Place gelatin leaves into a bowl of cold water and leave to soak for 5-10 minutes.
Melt the white chocolate carefully over a double boiler or in the microwave (Note! About 2/3 of melted chocolate is enough to melt the rest without needing to heat the mixture).

Whip the cream (you can add a teaspoon of vanilla sugar if you like).
Mix together the strawberry puré and the melted white chocolate in a separate bowl.
Squeeze the gelating leaves free from excess water and melt them with a couple of tablespoons of boiling water. Add the gelatin to the strawberry-white chocolate mix.

Add the whipped cream into the strawberry-white chocolate mix and carefully mix into an even  mixture.



No comments:

Post a Comment